1) It’s the right thing to do. It includes rather than excludes people
2) Videos with captions are ranked more highly by search engines so you are more likely to come nearer the top of searches
3) Around 750m people use English as a foreign language – captions can help them understand your message
4) It’s easy to do. You can use automatic voice-to-text to help. There are instructions here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734796?hl=en-GB
5) YouTube adds automatic voice-to-text captions. If you don’t edit these, you can send the wrong message to your viewers – like this
You can find out more about equality, diversity and inclusion from our video.
Just been adding captions to our latest video and YouTube have made things even easier – here’s a screen shot.